Reacting to the news of the clash between Indian and Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control in the Tawang sector of Arunachal Pradesh, the Congress on Monday claimed that the central government was trying to suppress the border issue. This stance of the government had emboldened China, which was acting with increased audacity, the Congress said.
Congress leader Jairam Ramesh said the party has been trying to “wake the government up” on the Chinese actions along the border. “The Centre has been silent to protect its political image,” he said.
“We are proud of the bravery of the armed forces. China’s actions on the border are completely unacceptable. For the last two years, we have been repeatedly trying to wake up the government, but the Modi government is trying to suppress the matter only to save its political image. The audacity of China is growing because of this,” Ramesh tweeted in Hindi.
“No one is bigger than the country but Modi ji is putting the country in danger to save his image…,” he alleged and said the fresh development along the LAC was worrying.
The Congress also tweeted a video clip of a speech by PM Modi made after the Galwan clash. In the clip PM Modi can be heard saying: “No one occupied our land and no one has entered India. None of our posts is in occupation of anyone else.”
“If this mistake had not been made. Had China been named, it would not have dared to raise its eyes towards India… There’s still time… don’t be afraid,” the Congress said while referring to PM Modi’s speech.
Congress leader Randeep Singh Surjewala said the PM gave a “clean chit to China” on June 19, 2020. “This is an insult to our brave forces,” he said. Taking a dig at the PM, Surjewala said, “You can’t avenge map with apps,” in an apparent reference to the Centre periodically blocking Chinese apps and games.
The Congress leaders’ reaction came after the Army on Monday said that the Indian and Chinese troops had again been engaged in a skirmish along the LAC in Tawang Arunachal Pradesh on December 9. Soldiers from both sides suffered injuries.
As the Winter session of Parliament Convened last week, the Opposition has sought a discussion on the border situation. However, the request is yet to be taken up.
Sources told ABP News that more than 30 Indian soldiers suffered injuries during the face-off. At least six soldiers injured in the clash in Tawang sector were taken to Assam’s Guwahati for treatment.
“On December 9, PLA troops contacted the LAC in Tawang Sector which was contested by own (Indian) troops in a firm and resolute manner. This face-off led to minor injuries to few personnel from both sides,” the Indian Army said in a statement.
“Both sides immediately disengaged from the area. As a follow up of the incident, own (Indian) commander in the area held a flag meeting with his counterpart to discuss the issue in accordance with structured mechanisms to restore peace and tranquillity,” the statement added.
Meanwhile, Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal wished the injured Indian soldiers a quick recovery.