Bethenny Frankel rightly said, “Your diet is a bank account. Good food choices are your investments” hence, if you form healthy eating habits for yourself, it will be easier for you to have healthier meals every day without worrying much about it. Incorporating healthy eating into your lifestyle will help in having a healthy relationship with your food.
Around 70% of deaths in India are accounted for non-communicable diseases most of which are lifestyle disorders. Healthy eating habits not just save you from lifestyle disorders but enable you to enjoy the true pleasure of eating.
A new year is about to begin, and along with that are “Healthy vows” piling up. Healthy eating habits are not just an action but rather a mindset you build over a period of time.
In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Shikha Gupta, Celebrity Nutritionist, suggested 3 healthy eating habits that you should include in your lifestyle right away:
1. Include a variety of food groups in your daily diet – Try to add as much variety to your diet through food groups like whole grains, pulses, lentils, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, and healthy fats. The more the variety, more the nutrients you will get from them which will reduce your risk of falling prey to chronic diseases.
2. Eat local and seasonal foods – Many of the foods that you get in your groceries may have lost most of their nutrients because they have been sitting on that shelf for so many days before you buy them. Having foods that are local and in season gives you the highest amount of nutrients and antioxidants that your body needs.
3. Eating slowly and mindfully – When you eat your food without any distractions and chew your food well, you will gain control of how much you are eating. It will help you understand for yourself when you are full.
Bringing her expertise to the same, Dietitian Garima Goyal recommended the top 3 eating habits which are not just healthy but easy to implement:
- Plan your meal – Do you keep losing your grip on sticking to healthy eating? Then, planning your meal ahead is one of your best bets. A simple meal prep will save you time in thinking about your next meal and it is a cost-effective strategy too. when you are uncertain about your next meal, you may tend to make random choices which when not balanced becomes a concern. So, before your week starts make a grocery list and keep your pantry stocked. If you can’t prepare everything from scratch then follow some easy meal prep to get things done fast.
- Do not starve in the name of dieting – A healthy eating habit is indeed a lifestyle and not a ritual you have to follow for some particular days. Now is the time, to bid bye to your restrictive meal plans which make you feel hungry and tired often. Follow a nourishing and wholesome diet to feel refreshed and energized. Keep your plates filled with different foods from various food groups unless restricted for medical reasons.
- Practice intuitive eating – One way to not fall into restrictive diets is by practicing intuitive eating. The art of eating lies in the way we appreciate our body and understand the cues it sends. The essence of intuitive eating is knowing when to eat and when to stop. Understand your hunger cues and do not force yourself to refrain from a treat or complete a plate of boiled veggies. Being food police will soon put you off the lane of following a healthy journey.
So, start incorporating these habits into your lifestyle right away to improve your relationship with food. Adopt and follow eating habits that are nourishing and fulfilling.