New Delhi: An eight-month-old boy died of measles in Mumbai on Wednesday, taking the total number of casualties in the city to 12. The city also recorded 13 new cases of measles, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said, taking the tally this year to 233.
According to a release issued by BMC, a total of 30 new measles patients were admitted to civic or state-run hospitals in Mumbai during the day, while 22 patients were discharged.
Here are the key developments:
- The total count of measles cases reported in the city since the beginning of the year climbed to 233.
- As many as 156 suspected measles cases were found during the BMC’s surveys on Wednesday.
- An eight-month-old boy from neighbouring Bhiwandi died on Tuesday evening, taking the toll in the city to 12. The child had developed rash all over his body on November 20 and was admitted to a BMC hospital but where he succumbed to the infection within a few hours.
- The Centre has deployed high-level teams to Ranchi (Jharkhand), Ahmedabad (Gujarat) and Malappuram (Kerala) to assess and manage the rise in number of measles cases among children there.
- The health ministry in a statement said that the teams will probe the rising trend of measles cases. They will also assist the state health authorities in investigating the outbreak and facilitate operationalization of requisite control and containment.
- The number of suspected measles cases detected so far has reached 3,534 with 156 new suspected cases with synonyms like fever and rash coming to light.
- Measles outbreak has been reported across 22 locations in 11 of the 24 civic wards. Civic officials have screened over 3.04 lakh households in the last 24 hours.
- Measles patients have been admitted at eight city hospitals – Kasturba Hospital, Shivaji Nagar Maternity Home, Bharatratna Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Hospital, Rajawadi Hospital, Shatabdi Hospital, Kurla Bhabha Hospital, Krantijyoti Savitribai Phule hospital, Borivali, and Seven Hills Hospital.
- As per BMC, out of 370 beds, including Oxygen and ICU beds earmarked for measles patients, only 113 beds are occupied so far.
- “All cases of fever with rash are administered two doses of Vitamin-A,” the BMC release said.
Check out below Health Tools-
Calculate Your Body Mass Index ( BMI )
Calculate The Age Through Age Calculator